Friday, June 3, 2011

LILACS !


What a great week of sunshine we've had! Although the first couple of days were too hot to do any yard work, it cooled down so I was able to mow, snip, clip, rake and haul hay for a few days uninterrupted by rain. I finally managed to catch up on the grass since the lack of rain meant it didn't grow (much) from my first day of mowing to my last day of raking.
Whew! All that exercise helped me lose a couple of lbs too :-)
_________
I'm enjoying watching my little lilac bush bloom this year for the first time. I should have cut down that smelly old evergreen and replaced it with a fragrant lilac the first year I was here. A second lilac will certainly be on my planting list.

Due to the high rainfall in April/May, the low lying yard near the back fence is impossible to mow. The Toro just fills up with grass and dies every time I try to mow a little closer to the wet area. I think 2 or 3 thirsty cedars in the middle of the "swamp" may soak up the spring water. I should spend some time this weekend shopping for shrubs.

_________
When not mowing, I've been sitting in the shade of a spruce and reading Peter Mayle's books describing life in Provence. His books are perfect relaxation for summer days. In "A Good Year", a man inherits his uncle's house and vineyard and travels to France to decide whether to live there or sell the property. Much tasting of wine ensues.
_________
Terri's energy level gets a boost when we move to the shade and she keeps me busy tossing her ball with one hand while holding a book in the other.

[The obligatory portrait of Terri]

No comments: