Monday, March 28, 2011

ENJOY A DIET ?

I don't like to take advice without good reasoning behind it. This is a fault when it comes to the good but vague advice to eat more fruits and vegetables each day. I always knew I should do it but the wording was too vague and therefore not motivating enough. The past few years I've been giving in too easily to my sugar addiction.

Now I am finally using the DASH diet and I find to my great surprise and delight that I actually like it. Amazing! I'm no longer a cookie monster :-) I've only been on this diet for 10 days but the fact that I'm not climbing the walls, desperate for sugar/candies/cookies/etc. is great news.

Fruits (fresh, canned or dried) and vegetables contain vitamins, fibre, protein: see http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/fruit-nutrition-chart.html for details.


Here are the food items I'm currently enjoying daily:
prunes
1% milk (calcium)
nectarine
vegetable juice (but high salt so limited amount)
apple (neurotransmitter acetylcholine)
red pepper
mandarine oranges
cheese (calcium)
currants
walnut pieces (omega-3, DHA/EPA)
coleslaw of carrot, brocolli, cabbage (fibre, vitamins, minerals)
tomatoes (antioxidents)
ground flax (omega-3, DHA/EPA)
whole wheat/flax/sunflower bread (fibre)
salmon (omega-3, DHA/EPA)
garlic powder instead of salt for flavouring

No comments: