Thursday, March 17, 2011

FLYING GEESE


Canada geese have arrived! I love the noisy honking of geese as they fly overhead and land in nearby fields. They fly over my home on their migrations north in the spring and south in the fall. I thought they were early this year but I see that I had marked "geese" on last year's calendar on March 16th. They have a long distance to travel so they need to stop for feeding. Geese eat grasses, seeds, clover and leftovers from crops of wheat, rye, corn, barley, and oats. Most of the fields around here grow corn or hay. I wonder if the geese can find any corn left in the farmer's field behind my house? It was plowed after the corn was harvested last year.

Luckily for the geese that fly over eastern Ontario, they can stop at the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary near Morrisburg along the St. Lawrence River. The bottom photo was taken at the sanctuary in 2003. I always enjoy visiting the parks along that section of the river.

Sometimes Terri and I camp at the St. Lawrence Parks, especially during dog shows.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wasn't it wonderful to hear and see them! We had a HUGE flock over our place with some dropping into the creek to rest.

Terri's Pal said...

You are lucky to have that inviting creek for them. You saw and heard far more than I did. I expect there will be more flocks visiting us the next few weeks though.