Wednesday, August 22, 2012

TRACKING :-)


We've had great weather for tracking lately. That is, it hasn't been horribly hot & humid so I managed to get off the sofa and move ;-) Terri and I have had a treat tracking on a lovely big clover field. Such a great change from our puny 1/2 acre yard! The exercise and tracking practice has been good for both of us.

I found a use for toilet paper rolls! I put a piece of cooked liver in a number of rolls and hid them along the tracks. It served two purposes — rewarded Terri and confirmed to me that we were right on track. I picked them up after Terri ate the liver and that taught me how I would have to handle Terri when picking up dropped items on a track. I should really be making her stop and sit to indicate found articles.

One of the handy things about this field is that there are little bushy plants and flowers here and there to serve as landmarks so I know if we're in the right place or to signal to me that there's a turn up ahead when running the track. The fence, trees and power poles are sighting tools to keep me on a straight track when laying the course.

No comments: