Monday, April 11, 2011

HEART-HEALTH BOOK

Reverse Heart Disease Now by Stephen Sinatra M.D., James Roberts M.D.

The cardiologists write about heart-related diagnostic tests, risk factors, medication, supplements, anti-inflammatory diet, exercise, stress reduction, and the "new cardiology unclog program". I'm seeing a pattern in heart-health books here ;-)

There is so much fascinating info in this book that if I created a summary here, I'd probably be accused of some kind of copyright infringement. I love to learn "why" certain nutrients are important and how they work. Such details are more convincing to me than reading a list of nutritious foods I should eat. If you enjoy details like that, read Reverse Heart Disease Now.

The doctors explain details about how the cardiovascular system works and why it needs particular proteins, lipids, etc. They mention food sources for nutrients. In particular, they recommend that people use a combination of antioxident supplements -- vitamins C, D, E, bioflavonoids, alpha-lipoic acid, beta-carotene, lycopene, CoQ10, selenium -- to improve their cardiovascular systems. Miscellaneous topics from the many they write about: triglycerides, sticky blood, cell membrane permeability, arterial inflammation, fish oil, magnesium, niacin, L-arginine, glycemic index.

I found lots of ideas here for my own "self health improvement" plan that I can discuss with my doctor. That's an essential review since some of the supplements are powerful and might not be advisable for everyone.

No comments: