Friday, April 29, 2011

POWER OUTAGE

THURSDAY APRIL 28. It feels strange sitting here without power while the sun shines. Strong winds are blowing the pine and spruce branches outside my glass door while Terri waits patiently on the floor beside me. I wonder what has happened? The electricity's been off for two hours since about 1:20 PM.

After last night's rain, the grass has thickened and the yard looks green. Flower went out to eat some grass and spewed it out as soon as she got back indoors. The wind was so strong, I could barely hold myself steady to take photos of her. Terri doesn't like the wind so we're not outside playing fetch games.


Compare that all-green yard above to this scene taken 3 days ago -- almost green. Today is the official start of my green yard for 2011 :-)


55% battery power remaining in my laptop. Since I'm supposed to use the battery once a week and haven't done that for a while, it makes sense to use it now. I suspect the battery is holding less energy as it gets older.

Time for lunch: sandwich and milk.

I don't know why I always have this feeling that I can't do anything without electricity. I could read a book, organize my piles of papers, put away towels and clothes, dust the furniture, change the bed. Guess which ... option ... I'll pick ;-)

Playing computer games. So lame.

3:30 PM Only 25% battery power. I hope this blackout doesn't last much longer. I'll have to shut down soon. At least there's light to read by :-)

4:00 PM Terri alerted me to goings-on outside and I found this scene. A hydro pole is down on the highway somewhere north of the police car.


Started reading by daylight. Fell asleep at some point. Woke up again - still no power :-( Found my hand-powered light/radio and used it to get around. Have the electrical company workers stopped working until morning? Will everything in my fridge melt or warm up and spoil overnight?

10:48 PM YAY !!!!! We've got power !!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Bad luck for you. We just had a flicker of outage. The fridge should last a good 24 hours, especially if you don't open it.

We don't count green day until the leaves are on the trees. But yesterday was 100% grass green day :-)