Friday, March 16, 2012

MONDAY MARCH 12

Today Terri and I started our 2012 tracking practice. After we had played fetch for a while outside, I put her in the car crate so she couldn't see the track. Then I laid a 150 pace U-shaped track heading west, north and east with a few kibble left along the track.

For something to do while aging the track, I went shopping at Giant Tiger, etc. The track was 50 minutes old when Terri started on it. She knew exactly what to do while wearing her tracking harness. She followed my steps quite well but had a couple of detours. I used a leash instead of a tracking line in order to get her used to footstep tracking. I'm experimenting with that to see if it helps train her to stick closer to the actual track instead of following wind blown scent. She did a nice circle to look for the track at one point. Progress was good.

The treat at the end was her red Kong. We played with it for half an hour; then it was major yard cleanup time. It's a good thing I only have one dog.

I will list the tracking practices in a separate post. Perhaps making them public will force me to practice more often.

It was the first day for geese flying overhead. Some flew over my yard heading northeast. Of course, I didn't have my camera. (They were seen on Friday on a creek a few km from here.)

No comments: